Classifications: antiinfective; anthelmintic
Pregnancy Category: C
100 mg tablets
Carbamate with unusually broad spectrum of anthelmintic activity. Mechanism of action not known.
Inhibits formation of worm’s microtubules and inhibits glucose and other nutrient uptake by susceptible helminths.
Treatment of Trichuris trichiura (whipworm), Enterobius vermicularis (pinworm), Ascaris lumbricoides (roundworm), Ancylostoma duodenale (common hookworm), Necator americanus (American hookworm) in single or mixed infections.
Safety during pregnancy (category C), lactation, or in children <2 y is not established.
Route & Dosage
adult:PO 100 mg as single dose
child:PO 100 mg as single dose
adult:PO 100 mg b.i.d. times 3 d
child:PO 100 mg b.i.d. times 3 d
- Allow tablets to be chewed and swallowed, or crushed and mixed with food if needed.
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Initiate second course of treatment if cure does not occur within 3 wk.
- Examine and treat all family members simultaneously because pinworms are readily transmitted from person to person.
Patient & Family Education
- Practice thorough hand washing after touching any potentially contaminated item.
- Change underclothing, bedclothes, towels, and facecloths daily; bathe frequently, preferably by showering. Infected person should sleep alone.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug without consulting physician.